Thursday, February 20, 2014

DIY Crochet and Lace Scarf


Hello lovelies,

It seems like winter is never going to end, ever ever ever.  Next week it's going to plunge once again into unseasonably cold temperatures, so I thought I would beat the weather and stay warm with a crochet infinity scarf.  My camera was in the process of dying a slow, sad death as I did this project, so please excuse the poor quality photos - I now have a beautiful new camera so stay tuned for fabulous photos on my next post.

What you'll need for this project: yarn, a crochet hook, and lace. I used a chunky green yarn that I have had lying around for years, and crafter's lace from Joann Fabric.

Step One:


Loosely crochet a chain long enough to fit around your neck.  Make sure it's about 2-3 inches shorter than you want for your finished scarf - when you double crochet later on, the stitches will stretch a bit.

Step Two



Double crochet your  scarf a total of eight rows, going back and forth along the chain. This will create a subtle stripey pattern.  Feel free to do more or less than eight rows depending on how think you want your scarf.  When you cut your yarn, leave a twelve inch strand of the end after you tie off.

Step Three:


Take your crafter's lace and cut into half inch strips about 1.5 times the length of your scarf.  I used clear fingernail polish on the ends to keep them from fraying instead of high end anti-fray sealant which can be expensive.  You can also buy lace on a spool of course, but crafter's lace is only $5.99 per yard, so it's a lot cheaper per square foot.

Step Four



Just like my crochet and ribbon hat, I'm using bobby pins in a fun (frugal) way.  Thread your lace through your bobby pin, and add a know to secure it.  Weave it along your scarf in any pattern you would like. I chose a basic, straight pattern of three long stripes but feel free to let your creativity go wild - you could thread diamond shapes, braids, even calligraphy if you wanted to.



Step Five


Tuck the lace ends under and pin into place at the end of your scarf, and sew them securely; I did about 5 stitches per end. Once you've sewn up all of your lace ends, take the excess twelve inches of yarn I told you to leave on the end of your scarf, earlier. Take your bobby pin (or, if you're feeling fancy, a yarn needle) and put it on the string. Sew up the two edges of your scarf  like you would one lace up one shoe lace, and knot off when you reach the end.   Your finished product should look something like this:




Stay warm and happy crafting, everyone :)









No comments:

Post a Comment